You can use any berries, freshly picked or frozen, depending on the time of the year. Blackberries are my favourite or apple & sultana. I substitute wheat flour for ground almonds, which makes the crumble so much richer. Ground almonds are slightly sweet, which is why I use chopped dates instead of sugar. I use coconut oil instead of butter or margarine. I serve it with coconut cream, which is a great substitute for cream if you are avoiding dairy! It is a huge hit with my family!
Approx 400g fresh or frozen berries
juice of 1 lemon or orange for a sweeter taste
200g ground almonds
50g gluten free oats or flaked almonds (optional)
100g organic coconut oil
4-6 organic Medjool dates, finely chopped
- Place blackberries in an oven proof dish
- Pour lemon or orange juice over blackberries
- Place ground almonds, oats & flaked almonds (reserve a handful for topping) into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the chopped dates and stir.
- Add the coconut oil and rub into the flour and dates (ideally end up with large breadcrumbs – don’t worry if clumpy)
- Cover the fruit with the topping.
- Sprinkle flaked almonds on top.
Bake for approximately 1 hour in oven at 160C until golden.