These are a delicious treat as well as being packed full of healthy ingredients. Naturally sweetened with dates and loaded with protein and omega 3s from the walnuts. Raw cacao has over 40 times the antioxidants of blueberries and is the highest plant-based source of iron. It’s full of magnesium and contains more calcium than cow’s milk. It’s also a natural mood elevator. A piece of this fudge provides a natural happy buzz. A word of caution! If you are sensitive to caffeine, as I am don’t eat too much in one go or too close to bedtime!
Preparation time 20-25 minutes
Cooling time 1-2 hours
Makes 16 protein energy balls or squares
125g pitted dates
40g smooth almond butter
30g melted coconut oil
40g raw cacao powder
- Place the walnuts in a food processor and process until fine and remove to a mixing bowl.
- Process the remaining ingredients and add to the mixing bowl.
- With your hands mix together to form a dough.
- Cut the dough into four equal parts and then cut each part into four more parts.
- Roll each piece into a ball.
- You can roll each one in dessicated coconut or raw cacao powder to make them look pretty or just leave them plain.
- Place the finished protein energy balls into an airtight freezer proof container and put in the freezer for 1-2 hours to firm up.
- Alternatively, tip the dough into a 20cm-lined tin and use your hands to press the mixture down into the tin.
- Cover the tin in cling film and place in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Cut the firmed up dough into squares to serve.
- You can store the protein energy balls or brownies in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.