This is like eating a portable fruit crumble. The perfect treat for a sweet tooth; it’s dead easy to make and is sweetened naturally with the berries and dates. Berries and oats are packed with vitamins, antioxidants as well as soluble fibre, which promote healthy gut bacteria as well as increasing feelings of fullness. The walnuts provide omega-3 fats and antioxidants, which are good for brain and heart health.
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 25-30 minutes
Makes 12 slices
200g raspberries (defrosted if using frozen)
225g rolled oats (gluten free if required)
125g dates, stoned
1tbsp vanilla extract
125g olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 190C.
2. Grease and line a 20cm square shallow baking tin.
3. Mash the berries and set aside.
4. Process the nuts in a food processor to form a fine flour, I use my Nutribullet.
5. Place in a large bowl with the oats.
6. Blend the dates, vanilla and oil to form a paste.
7. Mix the dry and wet ingredients with your hands to form a crumbly dough.
8. Press half the dough mixture down well into the baking tin.
9. Spread the mashed berries over the base, then top with the remaining mixture, pressing down lightly.
10. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.
11. Allow to cool and then cut into 12 slices.
This recipe has been adapted from a recipe in The Functional Nutrition Cookbook